A Perfect French Roast

My friend was visiting from Baltimore for Shabbos when I made this roast.  She asked me for the recipe and I hold her to check Kosherstreet.  Here it is:

The secret is that it uses two different types of heat ( on the stove top and then in the oven.) which make it the softest meat around.

1 large onion chopped

4 cloves of garlic minced

2 tsp.oil

1 4 once can of tomato sauce

2-4 pound brisket or french roast

1 cup (cooking) red wine

1 tbsp sea salt or Kosher salt

Saute onion when translucent add garlic.  Put the roast on top of the garlic and onions- brown both sides.   Now, add all the other ingredients  and cook on the stove top for about an 1 hour.  Then pour the entire mixture into a 9- 13 and cover tightly with a piece of aluminum foil.  Cook at 275 for 3 hours.

Print Friendly
Print Friendly and PDF

About the Author

Shira is the Program Director of Camp Sternberg and the former Principal of Shalsheles Bais Yaakov. She is presently stuck on her dissertation with is necessary to finish her Doctorate in Educational Administration. She lives in Lakewood, NJ with her husband her lively kids.

Comments (12)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Sally Safdie says:

what is “oof tomato sauce”? is there another brand? can i make my own tomato sauce? how?

2. Helpless in the kitch says:

I know this recipe was posted last year, but I just found it! I used it for Rosh Hashana and it was a big hit! My friend and I were debating the amount of tomato sauce it would need and oil, etc. because it isn’t so clear. Would it be possible for the author to repost it with very clear instructions and the correct order? (Sautee onions then add garlic then rest of the ingredients- so oil goes after? What do u fry the onions with? Very unclear)
    Thanks in advance

3. Tsipora says:

This was just incredible. I used tomato paste and water…. cheap wine…

That: half on stove-top, and half in oven must be the secred… or the cut of beef.

Thank you.

• admin says:

Tsipora – thank you so much for letting me know!! I love hearing when someone has enjoyed one of my recipes!! -love the cheap wine idea – gonna steal it ;)

have a great day :) Sarah

4. Sara says:

When on the stovetop, should it be covered?

5. Karen Bradley says:

What temp heat on the stove and what size can of tomatoe sauce? I would like to know what she served with this:). Thank you

• admin says:

Its 2 cups of tomato sauce & an are you cooking on the stove top or inside the oven?
      on stove top – medium heat
      in oven on 350F

hope this is helpful. :) Sarah

6. Ted Baran says:

It sounds as if it will be quite well done and soft. Can you suggest a time/temp so that the meat is closer to medium or medium-well?

7. Eliana says:

amazingly delicious roast. it is definitely going to be my “Go To” recipe for any future roasts….

… and I added fresh pepper to the recipe