I recently came upon this photo posted by Neiman Marcus on facebook featuring some of their fashion merchandisers reviewing the upcoming season’s fashion. What struck me was how refined ALL three of these women were dressed…and they were completely chic, stylish and feminine too!
A lot can be learned about career (or Shabbos) dressing just from studying this photo.
1. No need to go all black when there are plenty of neutral shades that can be combined together for sophisticated styling.
2. You don’t need to go out and buy suits to look professional. A collection of separates can be mixed and matched in numerous ways to create many different looks.
3. Beiges and greys/cools and warms can all be combined. Forget the old rules of matchy matchy.
4. A black belt will anchor an outfit consisting of several neutral shades. A white shell with lighten up a serious grey ensemble. A statement necklace will add a feminine flair to a simple dress or suit. Pay attention to details, they can make an outfit.
5. Tailored touches like ruching or peplums add interest and texture to a simple color palette.
6. A long cardigan over a simple dress is a great alternative to your suit for the office.
Some basic pieces to collect are pencil skirts in shades of beige and grey (in addition to your ‘bbs’ – basic black skirt, that you LIVE in), a structured blazer in a similar but not matching shade, a long cardigan, some other tops in interesting designs, a stylish belt, a few statement necklaces, and shells in black, white, beige and grey.
Here are some of my picks….each one under $100 (click on photo for shopping link):
Mix and match similar pieces as needed and feel professional AND pretty while expressing your own personal sense of style. Have a great week!