Are You Fabulously F-A-T? Frum – Attractive – & Trendy ( and oh yeah -overweight)!
Someone recently asked me what size I was (a girl really never tells the truth) but I feel that for the sake of full disclosure, I will let you – my new BFF’s – know. Up till my 20′s, before I had my first daughter I was a glorious size 6. But now, three girls later and a very low tolerance for anything to do with excersize other than the occasional yoga class – I am a beautiful size 8 , 10, or 12 depending on the cut of the outfit – I have even bought the occasional size 14, if I wanted something to be longer (I always have a great tailor on call).
Now I am in no way what some would call a FAT girl (please don’t take offense at the word – I love it so much more than PLUS SIZE). If you read on you will see why!
But, those few extra pounds, certainly hinder my shopping sprees at times. Where once I was able to wear anything, my lovely children, besides the few gray hairs, they have also generously presented me with, extra padding in my hips and belly. But my little tiff with Fashion Trends like Pencil Skirts and everything Striped is nothing compared to some of you who are larger than I am.
I feel for all you women out there who are a size 14+ – It is NOT EASY finding clothes that fit , are fashionable and Tznius to boot. You see, I have a gorgeous sister who I love deeply, who happens to be a size 18-20 , and for her entire life she has been what you can consider above average. When she was a teenager, I had to go shopping with her at department stores and other Jewish stores all over the city and else where, there where too many times, where she spent hours trying on everything in sight and ending with absolutely nothing - she and I both walked out defeated, frustrated, and feeling blue.
But she does have one of the biggest shoe collections out there – because at the end of the Day the SHOE ALWAYS FITS!!!
In America, the claim is that the average women wear a size 14 , but if you go shopping and are that size – you would never believe it. Most stores and boutiques don’t seem to be catering to that size what soever. The Jewish stores are also guilty of this, where if they are not a specialty store specific to that size, there are very few items to choose from that are stylish or trendy. Most are either ill fitting – meant for someone who seems to have boxy arms and looks like a short barrel – or are styles that were meant for the short size 4 and 6 girls and just don’t work if your average height or tall and a size 18 or more.
My sister Ella (my mother had a letter E obsession) has an unbelievable fashion sense. I work in the business - but she will blow me away with her ideas, styling and knowledge of what’s out there. She has the ability to throw together an outfit from things that are just random in her closet and she always looks terrific.
She scours the internet endlessly for great sites that have the styles and trends she is looking for, and as it happens made in effort to be positive and no longer minds the hours it takes to try on clothes in a department store that carries her size (though she only does that on the rare occasion it can still be somewhat harrowing).
When people describe Ella, they call her sweet & pretty, always well put together and the “FAT” part… always an afterthought. It was Ella herself that one day came up with her title MS. Fabulously F-A-T!
In her words -” I am what I am for right now – so I will be proud – I am Fat, Frum, Attractive, Trendy & Tznius!
So for all you women out there who are feeling a little down on yourself because you have a hard time finding the right clothing that fits or is the style you want -Firstly – DON’T it is not the clothes that make a person Attractive and Happy – instead it is your Attitude and Grace in how you deal with your situation that can make all the difference in how you feel about yourself – sometimes easier said than done – but something to always keep in the back of your mind -a profound lesson I learned from my sister! AND secondly – my Tre’s Chic-ka sister Ella has given me her favorite sites that she loves to buy from, so NOW almost all your shopping headaches can be put at ease!!!!
Enjoy your shopping spree!
email me tre’email@example.com Love to answer any of your fashion questions. Or if you have a Fashion 911 or want to see a post about something specific – let me know – I really enjoy hearing from all of you out there in kosherstreet world!
Ella’s Top 10 Shopping F-A-T Clothing Stores Online:
Hi – it me Ella , here are my favorite sites that I shop on religiously. I really hate when the site show a skinny girl wearing clothing that are suppose to be for her size – these sites use models that are appropriate for the size. Also if I picture shirts and dresses that are short sleeved I am doing so with the idea that a shell can be worn underneath.
1. www. Kiyonna.com - they have great skirts and dresses that with the right shell can be stunning , tznius and sophisticated. The prices are average and relatively inexpensive. You can get great skirt for under $40.
2. www.bandlu.com – this site has a minimal selection – but what they do have is of great quality, beautiful and trendy. I have both these blouses and I am living in them this summer. Prices are great and on target for a working girl.
3. www.jjill.com - this site more than there stores has great skirts, wraps and shirts that come in all sizes. There casual ware is perfect for a dress down Friday at work. I actually have the entire outfit you see at left. – I wear it all the time!
4. www.ullapopken.com - this site is great if you have a little bit of that “hippie” (and i dont mean fat) chick in you. Dresses and shirts have a little bit of that 70′s vibe – and I get lucky sometimes and find a great blouse to wear with a denim skirt.
4: www.Denimskirts.com - I found this site was I was desperate for a good denim skirt. I had searched everywhere – and finally on a whim I typed in this url and – wallah a phenominal site with great skirts – I think it might even be jewish – but I can’t confirm. They have great white, blue and tan denim skirts for plus sizes in all lengths,;short, long and even calf length. -Prices are terrific at about $40 a piece and they even give you the exact length size so there is no guessing. And when Effie was pregnant, I bought her a great maternity one from this site!
5. www.IGIGI.com IGIGI by Yuliya Raquel is a great site for work outfits. They have some great dressier blouses and casual dresses that work great with almost any body type. Prices are relatively reasonable and quality is above average.
6.www.oldnavy.com For cheap, casual and trendy clothes this store can not be beat when you are plus size. They have great t-shirts, sweaters, pj pants and skirts for terrifically low prices. Add a coupon or two off when things go on sale and you can order a T-shirt that cost you $5 and fits you. The great advantage also is that if you order on-line you can return in any old navy store.
7.www.ashleystewart.com This on-line store is a hit or miss – sometimes you can find a really cute top or skirt that looks and feels great. Prices are reasonable and will not break the bank.
8. www.Zappos.com Besides great shoes, this site will give you a laundry list of skirts, shirts, and dresses that are plus size. It is a little bit like shopping at Marshalls or Loehmans – you really need to spend the time and sift through every page to find that one great piece that will work for you. And as we all know their return policy is awesome!
9. www.bloomingdales.com I love this store and find some great pieces, everything from suits, jackets, cardigans and dresses. However, they are quite pricey and so I only buy when they are on sale and when it is something that I know I will get a lot of use out of. You can also return anything you buy online to the department store as well.
10. www.saks.com – Saks 5th Ave was one of the first major department stores that carried high end fashionable clothing for plus size women. Their salon Z store is a great place to shop on line as well as in person. However just like bloomingdales they are very expensive. Their clothing does go on sale every few weeks and if you are diligent about checking up on their prices you can get a great deal.
I also check in regularly at Macys.com. Lordandtaylor.com and even sometimes Jcpenny.com – all have great plus size options that are available in stores and online.
About Tre’s Chic -ka: Effie L. is a fashion accessories wholesale buyer for some of the most exclusive boutiques in the NY & LA area. Some of her great accessory picks and finds for those stores have subsequently graced the “hot list” of many major style and entertainment magazines. Growing up her parents owned a luxury textile company and Effie and her 6 siblings grew up in the Fashion district of NYC. She is currently married to an Italian Jew from Milano and together they have 3 gorgeous and very precocious daughters who all are expressing their own unique fashion style already. Effie is new to blogging, but is very excited to share her great tips and advice on Fashion, Trends, and all the other things she loves here on kosherstreet.com