These muffins are a great sweet treat for after dinner or shabbos morning. They also freeze very well, so I usually double the recipe and put a batch in my freezer for a quick dessert.
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp each ground cinnamon and cardamom
- 4 tblsp canola oil
- 10 oz pitted chopped medjool dates
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup milk or almond/soy milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup truvia
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 325. Combine oil, hot water and milk with dates, and heat in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl until simmering and the dates start to fall apart. Let cool and add egg and vanilla. Mix together remaining dry ingredients in another bowl and add to the date mixture. Mix well by hand and spoon into paper lined muffin tins. Bake 20 minutes. Yeilds a dozen muffins.