So many of us make sherbets and ice creams for Pesach – Here is a great alternative the Granita. Granitas are semi-frozen desserts that are usually sweet and tangy made of fruit and some type of acid like lemon or lime. They are served as desserts or as an inter-mezzo between courses. Granita’s are easier to make then traditional fruit sherbets and ice creams. Refreshing and sweet this granita recipe will make every one happy at your meal.
- 2 mangos, peeled
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 2 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Cut the mangos into 1-inch cubes. In a food processor or blender, combine the mango and lime zest. Process until completely smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Transfer the puree to a bowl and add water, sugar and lime juice. Stir with a whisk until sugar has dissolved.
Pour the mixture into a 9-inch square shallow baking pan. Put the pan in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes with a fork, being sure to scrape the ice crystals off the sides and into the middle of the pan, until the mixture is too frozen to stir. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze over night.
When ready to serve the granite, place a fork at the top of the dish and pull it toward you in rows, rotating the dish as you go. Scrape up the shaved ice and fill your chilled glass.
Tip: I love to rim my glass cups with a little honey and dip them into raw sugar for a great presentation.
For garnish candied limes:
- 2 large limes or 3 small limes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Slice limes into thin rounds, blanch in a pot of boiling water for 2 min & drain.
- 2 In the same pot, combine water & 1 cup sugar. Bring to a simmer & add lime slices. Simmer for 10-15 min, till white pith of limes looks translucent (May take longer if pith is esp thick or dense).
- 3 Drain & spread out on a cooling rack to dry for at least 1 hour.
- 4 Put 2 tbsp sugar in shallow bowl or saucer. When limes are dry, coat both sides of the lime slices by pressing them into the sugar (May need more sugar for good coverage).
- 5 Store in an airtight container & layer between parchment paper or plastic wrap till ready to use. I freeze these when I make a batch & then just take out what I need to use.